On Friday June 3rd we had an unfortunate accident with Boston. It was first thing in the morning and I was getting ready, Elsie was still asleep, and Boston was chasing Tiger which is a normal thing around here. Boston chased Tiger up onto the couch. We are constantly telling Boston not to climb on everything. I was walking into the family room and I saw Boston quickly climb up onto the back of the couch with a lot of momentum and fell right off the back of our couch onto his head then back. Since he fell backwards he could not catch himself very easily. I quickly picked him up and he cried for a sec and then his body fell lifeless and he lost all color in his face. He would not respond so I quickly laid him down on the carpet and started to give him mouth to mouth. After the first 3 breaths he started breathing again. Now I am not sure if he just got the wind knocked out of him or he fainted, but doing mouth to mouth was the first thought that came to my mind. After he awoke he could not hold up his head, still looked extremely pale, and could not stay awake. I was pretty sure he had a concussion and the only thing I remember from my first aid training was to keep them awake at least for the first hour or so. I quickly put the kids in the car... Elsie in her
car seat and I was holding Boston and trying to drive which I know is not smart but I could not let him fall asleep. I went to a Jenny Wall's house who is a friend and nurse in my neighborhood but she was not home. Then I went to Tammy
Trainor's house in my neighborhood and who is also a nurse. Blessing #1 she was home! I just needed an opinion of a professional if I should take him to the ER or just to an
instacare to get him checked out. She thought since his pupils were not
dilated he should just go to the
instacare. I needed someone to hold him and keep him awake so my dear friend Era Lindsey just had stepped out of the shower and immediately went with us to the
instacare. She held him and tried to keep him awake while I drove. He ended up throwing up 3 times in his blanket just before we got to the
instacare which now I know is the bad sign of a severe concussion. I am so grateful for so many amazing women and friends in my life!!!! Era did not complain or even act disgusted that Boston was throwing up pretty much on her. We rushed into the
instacare and Blessing #2 there was no wait. I have never seen that. The doctor quickly checked him out and decided he needed to go to the ER because Boston was so
lethargic and definitely not himself. My heart dropped because the doctor had just
confirmed the severity I had not wanted to accept. As Era is trying to keep
Bos awake on the car ride to the ER I felt like I could barely drive. My heart ached for my little bud. I called Justin and he was able and willing to meet us at American Fork hospital. We arrived at the ER and Blessing #3 there was no wait! The doctors checked Boston out and told us he had a severe concussion. They gave him some
Zofran for his pain. The doctors let Boston fall asleep now although he kept waking up. The doctors decided he needed to have a C-scan. We walked him to do the test. I laid him down the nurse said he needed stay completely still.... for a 2 year old that is extremely hard. They even tried to give Boston a sucker but he wanted nothing to do with it. We tried over and over but we had no luck. We tried 3 times and each time Boston kept getting more and more scared. The doctor decided we needed to sedate him and give him and IV. In the meanwhile Heidi, Justin's mom, came and planned to take Elsie and Era back home. Elsie was a perfect girl just coloring in the waiting room. She had not eaten breakfast or anything yet. I knew Boston had a big red mark on the back of his head, but I had not noticed anything else. Heidi was feeling Boston's head noticed on the side of head it was completely soft and gushy. Her reaction scared me because she said when Justin cracked his head open when he was 7 his head felt the same way. I asked Justin immediately to give him a blessing. Blessing #4 & #5 I seriously felt angels around Boston the entire time we were in the hospital which is not an uncommon feeling I get with him. After the blessing Boston fell asleep in a deep sleep. The nurse came in to give him his IV and I begged him to try the C-scan one more time. He talked with the other nurses and the radiologist and they were not happy with me because they felt they already gave it their all. Blessing #6 The nurse decided to try the warming blankets around Boston to help him stay asleep and it worked!!!!! We waited around for quite awhile to get the results and the doctor wanted to keep a close eye on him. The results came back....Blessing #7 Everything was
ok! He only had a scalp
hematoma which is a bump caused by blood underneath the scalp. Boston would be dizzy for a few days and have headaches, but after 2 weeks he could resume normal activity. This was an experience I will never forget. The outcome could have been so much worse. We are so so so so grateful everything is
ok. We know that we were extremely blessed and feel very grateful.
This was a picture taken at the hospital. I was so
embarrassed he was in his Christmas pajamas even though it was June:) At the end of his hospital stay they gave Boston a sucker and he was so excited. After 6 hours his personality was finally starting to come back:)

4 comments:
Angie!!! After your bore your testimony I have been meaning to ask you what happened!! What a scary and traumatic thing to have happen to your child. I can only imagine how you were feeling! Sounds like you were definitely being watched after though and I'm SO SO SO grateful he is okay.
Oh my gosh that is so scary. I'm so glad that he is okay.
Angie, oh my goodness!!!! I am so glad that Boston is ALIVE. as i read your story,I thought of all the times in my life I have been in the Hospital, not fun, But I am so very Greatful for the Priesthood and the Blessings it Brings to us. again, I am glad EVERYTHING is ok. Love ya, Jenny
Oh my that is super scary! I glad everything turned out okay sounds like you had a guardian angel looking out for you! Glad the little guy is okay!
Post a Comment